Frozen, Broken Water Pipes Can Be Homeowner Nightmare

We don’t often think of damage from frozen and broken water pipes as being on the same scale as a natural disaster, but damage from water is the most prevalent — yet least recognized — catastrophe. In fact, frozen and broken water pipes rank No. 2 behind hurricanes in terms of both the number of homes damaged and the amount of claim costs in the U.S.Another broken PipeBroken PipeBroken Pipe

What Is Mold?
We have probably all encountered mold at one time or another. It might have been in the shower, or on a stale piece of bread or cheese. There are many different species of mold, but all molds share some common characteristics.
~ Molds thrive in moist and humid environments.
~ Molds require an organic food source. One common food source is cellulose, which is found in building materials such as wood and drywall.
~ Molds are spread by microscopic airborne particles called “spores.”

Molds and mold spores are naturally present in the outdoor environment all around us. However, indoor mold growth can become a tenacious problem. Mold spreads rapidly and produces an unpleasant musty odor. If allowed to grow unchecked, mold can cause discoloration and structural damage to building materials. A significant amount of mold can impact indoor air quality and can be difficult and costly to remove. Mold contamination is a growing concern for homeowners, property managers, insurance provides and restoration companies.

What Is The Best Defense?
Mold can start to grow in as little as 48 hours. To prevent the spread of mold, it is important to react quickly in the event of a water loss. By identifying and eliminating the source of the water and implementing rapid drying processes, mold growth can be curtailed. The most effective drying techniques involve the use of sensitive tools to measure and record the temperature, humidity and moisture content of both the structure and contents of the home or building. Professional water damage restoration can mean the difference between a small water problem and a structure covered with mold. ServiceMaster Clean professionally trained technicians use the latest water restoration and drying techniques to deliver quality results.

Appropriate Action Is Key.
If we observe mold, we will respond appropriately, immediately reporting our observations to the insurance company. When the extent of mold contamination is isolated and /or less than 10 square feet, testing and protocols are generally not required. ServiceMaster Clean can proceed with the claim and perform emergency water mitigation services, including remediation of the 10 square feet or less of mold. We will isolate the contaminated area and remove the mold, while protecting the surrounding areas from the possible spread of mold spores.
When we encounter an affected area of more than 10 square feet, we will contain the contaminated area, stop normal water mitigation procedures and immediately notify the insurance company. In these cases, we strongly recommend the use of an environmental testing service to establish baseline levels of mold, identify the types of mold present and develop a written remediation plan. Our goal is to work with the insurance company to establish the proper procedures to handle the mold situation.

Cooking causes almost 90% of all kitchen fires. The main culprits are grease, oil and fat that has been left unattended on the stove. Many people exacerbate the problem by tossing water on the fire, which has the opposite effect and increases the severity of the situation. Below are some tips on how to avoid kitchen fires and extinguish small onces before they get out of hand.

  • Keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen at all times. Water cannot put out a grease fire, but an extinguisher will work.
  • If a small grease fire starts and you do not have a fire extinguisher cover the fire by placing a lid on the pan.
  • Never leave the stove unattended while cooking.
  • Do not wear loose clothing while cooking, as the cloth is more likely to ignite and cause physical harm.
  • Always keep fresh batteries in your smoke detector.

ServiceMaster of the Tri-Counties is always looking for ways to assist the public. We are furnishing this yellow main water tag to place on the shut-off valve, to encourage you to locate the valve yourself and so the valve can be more easily located by someone unfamiliar with your home, in case you are away from home and an unexpected water break occurs.

We found many people do not know where their water main shut-off valve is located and even if they do, if they are away from home and someone else has to locate the valve, this tag can help them locate it quickly.

1) Did you know a 1/4 inch supply line to an ice maker, with normal household pressure, can pump 700 to 1,410 gallons of water into your home within a 24 hour period?

2) A 3/8 inch supply line from a toilet can pump enough water to fill a small swimming pool, say 12’ x 3’, within a 24 hour period. That is 3,000 – 4,000 gallons of water!

3) Water from a 5/8 inch washing machine hose would fill a pool 18’ round, 4’ deep in 24 hours, or 14,000 – 17,000 gallons of water!

Would you know where your water shut-off valve is in your home during an emergency?

From the examples above, you can see how quickly shutting off the water supply could save you a considerable amount of damage!

ServiceMaster encourage you to install this water valve tag today! Call or stop by at ServceMaster Clean at 243 Old Ithaca Road, Horseheads, NY for your free water tag.

  • October 2017
    M T W T F S S
    « Jan    
     1
    2345678
    9101112131415
    16171819202122
    23242526272829
    3031  
  • Categories

  • Popular Tags